Wednesday, April 14, 2010

getting started

First -- read the previous post.

Then read to the bottom of this post before you click on any links!

To get started I suggest you take a look at a few blogs to see the set up. There are things I like about some of these, and some things I don't like. You can make up your own mind.
You should look for:
*layout
*purpose and audience
*language and writing style -- notice that these are written like journal entries -- no MSN, or texting short forms!

check out:
(My all time favourite) Zen Habits
An Apple A Day (also my favourite, for different reasons...)

Once you have your blog template you can find "Blogs of Note" that the folks at BlogSpot choose as most interesting blogs that week or month. The following are blogs that I thought you might find interesting (my choices above are probably not "your thing")
Blogs of Note:
Abby's Blog -- Abby is 16 and blogging about her adventure...
Running from Camera -- the photos and idea behind this blog are just funny....

The last one is a website with a blog imbedded. When I grow up, this is what I would like to produce. To find the blog go to Pioneer Woman and then click the "Confessions" tab near the top of the page.

What you should realize from browsing a few blogs is that there are many, many possibilities. You should see how it is possible that I learned one new thing every day all summer (that's about 60 new things!)

You ready for your own blog? Read these instructions before you start!
Go to www.blogspot.com. There are other blog developing sites, but this is the one I am familiar with. Click on "create a blog" and then follow the instructions. You will need a current email address and password. If you already have a Google account, use that email. If not, you can use another email, such as hotmail. Just follow the steps.
It's as easy at that. If you create a layout that you don't like, you can always change it later.
Remember to write down the whole blog address and your password somewhere safe. It does little good to have a blog, and not know how to get back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment